6 Replies to “Algorithm play #mscedc I have chosen to meddle with my Netflix profile and become a Romantic / well being movie fan out of a sudden. Find my Day to day Steller log book on Pinterest. http://bit.ly/2TRmJjC”

1. Great artefact, Thomas, and love the way you have presented it with a timeline of screenshots, reflections and audio commentary!

Some fascinating explorations meddling with your Netflix profile here. It’s interesting to see your reflections on how your location may have changed the results, and also that time is a factor (it took a few days, or a higher number of views of certain content, for things to come through).

It’s also interesting that you comment on how this may have influenced you – did you feel ‘in control’ or that the results were ‘controlling’ you to a degree, and shaping your habits?

Also, I wonder what assumptions Netflix may have begun to make about you. While you were deliberately ‘playing’ with the algorithm in this case, how did you feel about the data collected in the process and any assumptions made/conclusions drawn?

2. Thanks for sharing Thomas!
    Very interesting observation about the thumbnails. I’m almost certain that this is something they would have taken into consideration. Nothing seems to be accidental on Netflix.

The presentation is very effective, animated screenshots and comparison of the changing thumbnails is really good.

Amazing to see how rapidly it adapts. I have had a very different experience with Soundcloud. Which I think is a clear reason why it has remained a second fiddle to Spotify.

This is perhaps the biggest impact of algorithmic culture upon us: The expectation that algorithms respond immediately to our changing patterns and seeming “choices”.

This may also mark the impact of algorithmic cultures on education. The expectation of immediate adaptation, flexibility and personalisation.

3. Hi Thomas!
    That was really cool. I especially liked your observation of the thumbnails on Netflix. It had never occurred to me that those change with a purpose, using different thumbnails to make the same movie appeal to different viewers. It’s an interesting idea that being in Mexico might influence your algorithm.
    I really liked your presentation style by the way, very slick.
    I also didn’t know some of those movies were on Netflix and now I’m going to go watch them…
    Monica