Visual artefact – week 3

I had a grand idea involving, after-effects, and digital overlays. But … its harder than it looks.

10 Comments

1. jknox

Nicely done. I was waiting for something dramatic to happen when you opened your eyes!

This mirrors a classic sci-fi plot, doesn’t it, in that only when the body is ‘damaged’ is it replaced by glowing cyber-tech. That seems to speak to an ongoing fear, and lack of acceptance of technological enhancements, in that here you didn’t one day simply *choose* to get a better eye, the enhancement was given to you after you’d ‘lost’/damaged the real one. So, technology here is ‘I’ll do it if I have to’?

Any educational interpretations of this glossy, high-end, special effects-laden clip? 🙂

1. jjack

If I had more skill in aftereffects it would have had a bit more oomph at the eye-opening bit. My initial thinking was a branching scenario based on the viewer, one being transhumanist the other a bio conservative – which then leads to a different ending. Maybe that could be in the sequel 🙂

Educational takes on it. well, I guess that mirrors my branching view that some techno evangelists will believe that all thing technical will enhance the experience regardless of how it’s used. With the techno sceptics favouring policy process and pedagogy over the technical solutions. Of course, neither is correct, but I do find it interesting that the tech enthusiasts are often held as the ones having to justify that its ok to bring in new tech. Whereas academic or pedagogical approaches are not viewed with such scrutiny or a critical lens as tech – in my opinion.

2. Pingback: Week 3 – Summary – Jon Jack’s EDC lifestream

3. amahoney

Very good! I hope you’re continuing to be better than before!
    “I do find it interesting that the tech enthusiasts are often held as the ones having to justify that its ok to bring in new tech. Whereas academic or pedagogical approaches are not viewed with such scrutiny or a critical lens as tech – in my opinion.”
    I hadn’t pondered this before but I think it’s a good point to be aware of. I guess new tech has an aura of ‘undiscovered, unknown’ and ‘potentially dangerous’ about it, and those bringing it in, (tech evangelists) are not always trusted to have our best interests at heart. New tech often has investor backing and an economic motivation. Perhaps pedagogical changes aren’t scrutinized so much because the assumption is made that they are for the educational benefit of students even though we all know that schools are incentivised to use students as economical instruments as well.

4. dyeats

Love the simple grungy story of the transhuman that emerges from this. At first I didn’t quite get what I was watching and that was part of the fun of it. It really works well though

You’ve picked out a very popular theme in the creation of transhumans, that of a medical procedure after an accident that transforms the ‘old you’ dramatically.

Also picking up on what you said about tech evangelists and tech skeptics in education, there is a parallel here with the medical industry. Medical procedures to restore what was lost or enhance what is there are common.

Tech such as medical implant devices (for a broad range of issues) have been adopted readily by the industry and have also been fairly unregulated or even untested. Some doctors refuse to use them and others put them into everyone they see. Just as some teachers want nothing to do with new tech while others try everything they come across.

I would classify policy and pedagogy as kinds of technology in here as well.

5. bkerr

Great video Jon. At first, I thought this is what had really happened in the production of your visual artefact, so you had me going all the way to the end!

You say: “some techno evangelists will believe that all thing technical will enhance the experience regardless of how it’s used”

I have known a few of these individuals during my time in education and they are difficult characters to manage. I used to know one head of school, who was such an ardent believer in the power of technology for enhancing learning, that he literally bought in any technological development he came across. However, this done was indiscriminately and without due diligence, and resulted in a number of varying number of ‘similar, but different’ platforms and technologies simultaneously and in direct competition to each other. The result was ‘gordian knot’ of tech, that was difficult to disentangle.

6. Pingback: Comment on ‘Jon Jack’s EDC Lifestream’ by jjack – The Lifestream of Brian kerr

7. Pingback: Jon commented on Comment on ‘Jon Jack’s EDC Lifestream’ by jjack – Jon Jack’s EDC lifestream

8. Valerian

I enjoyed your artefact Jon and I agree with Jeremy. This could make a great plot for a sci-fi film or opening to a superhero blockbuster movie. ‘…even better than before’. The ending says so much about the need to improve our bodies not only when they are not ‘working’ as we would like them to but, presumptuously, some believe that we can manufacture parts that are better than the original ones. Thanks for this Jon.