Week 2 summary: teaching@digital podcast: season 2: Posthuman religions

In The Historiography of Cyberculture, Sterne troubles the certainty of what academia assumes to be cybercultures by refocussing on the role of audio.  So I thought a podcast format could contribute to highlighting this narrative.

Recording from Hobart Tasmania, we discuss some of the convergence between posthumanism, the human potential movement, new religious movements, education and educational technology.

Apologies for the strange sound quality, recorded on my phone in a pub. Thanks to the pub band at the Fisherman’s Arms in Hobart for the jazz background.

This was edited very hastily so silences have been auto cut, creating some interesting speech patterns that I thought heighten the sens of digital sound. Sorry if some word are cut off here and there.

https://teachingatdigital.podbean.com/e/teachingdigital_8/

3 Replies to “Week 2 summary: teaching@digital podcast: season 2: Posthuman religions”

1. Fascinating podcast! Really enjoyed listening to this, and appreciate the connections made between religion and corporate culture, making some great links with themes from this course. The Human Potential Movement looks so interesting, and I think one can really see how much of this discourse underpins the way education has shifted from teaching to ‘learning’, and the notion of self-directing students. I also think you picked up on an important shift that comes along with technology, towards the measurement behaviour and cognition, that I don’t think sit particularly well with pedagogies that purport to foster self-direction and student agency.

Nicely done!

2. I’m going to geek-out massively in response to this 🙂

Loving the jump towards Corporate being the Big Bad. This is soooooooo CyberPunk (as in the old RPG) its unbelievable. Also covers a lot of stuff from Robert Anton Wilson’s Illuminatus! trilogy.

I work for the NHS (Public Sector Healthcare – for people from countries where the term might not be familiar), so we obviously have a standard viewpoint of anything from the Private Sector. Usually we consider anything being promoted by a private company as being utter bullsh*t until proven otherwise. That makes us a bit more robust when it comes to sales pitches from tech companies (unless, as happened, a member of the Board gets an iPad for Xmas and suddenly decides we need a shed-load of them even when they’re not compatible with any of our systems). We also have the advantage/disadvantage of being massively slow to agree to anything which tends to put off companies trying to make a quick buck. Is HE a bit easier to pitch as a tech company? I know individual departments might have more wiggle room and therefore be more susceptible, but doesn’t some organisational imperative kick in?

I’m going to leave the whole religion side of things alone. I think we can probably agree to disagree on the place of religion in education and the wider world. In a wider philosophical context however, I can wholeheartedly recommend The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I think you’d probably enjoy the storyline and the tension between inner and outer lives that come into the narrative, along with themes of the individual versus the collective that your guest touched on 🙂

I leave you with my favourite version of My Way, one that I don’t think Trump would appreciate:

https://youtu.be/rDyb_alTkMQ

1. Great stuff as usual Mods Matt!
      In some ways HE has become much more wary of EdTech companies. The institution where I work is highly risk averse at least from an ITD perspective. However, this risk aversion is still limited to the concerns of ITD an not so much to the concerns of learning and teaching, thus they open student and staff data up to a lot of platforms that I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole. They don’t analyse the ideology of the vendors, nor the pedagogical validity of what they are selling.

As for the place of religion in education, I’m more interested in studying the impact of religious beliefs on education, rather than saying religion should have a central place in education. I think people’s religious beliefs, including corporate religion and atheism, impact their conception of education, what should be taught, and who should have access to education.

Love the look of The Invisibles, deifinitely going to check it out. And The Illuminatus! – very fun! all going on the list.

Is this the CyberPunk RPG?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020