Comment on ‘Teaching @DigitalCultures’ by dyeats

Comments on Human Digital Screenome Memoir

A really great visual artefact here David. Thank you for sharing this. I had never heard of the Human Screenome Project before, but it certainly makes me consider its practical use and potential impact.

I recently delivered an assembly to our Year 10 students on the topic of ‘screen time’. As a prop in the assembly I shared the data from the app, Moment, on my iPhone, to visualises how much screen-time I had personally spent on my device over the 4 weeks prior. As it turned out, it was quite a lot and that didn’t include hours spent on my iPad, laptop or desktop etc. It was quite shocking actually!

I also couldn’t understand specifically what I had been doing over that time… It felt like a lot of ‘lost’ hours. So, something of this nature, which adds an extra layer of data on the specific patterns of online activity, would certainly have been useful. There is definitely a practical application that this type of data could generate for users.

That said, I don’t think I would have been so willing to share that visual data with my audience, and so privacy is definitely an issue to consider.

Thank you again for sharing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se7L5zDVNPs&feature=youtu.be